Increasing AP Opportunities and Improving Outcomes
The Advanced Placement* program was created by the College Board and offers college-level courses and examinations to high school students in the United States and Canada. Students who receive high scores on AP** examinations are often allowed preferential college placement and college course credits. If an online high school offers Advanced Placement courses, it means that those courses have been audited by the College Board to determine that they satisfy standardized AP curriculum requirements. Once an online high school’s AP courses are audited and approved, the school is allowed to use the AP designation and the courses are publicly listed on the College Board’s AP Course Ledger.
The AP Course Audit provides AP teachers and administrators with requirements that must be fulfilled before a course can be called “AP.” Each school using the “AP” label must submit a course-specific AP Course Audit form PLUS the course syllabus for each AP-designated course and each teacher of that course, to the College Board for audit and approval before the course can be called “AP.”
Global Student Network (GSN) offers College Board audited and approved AP curriculum options for both distance learning and classroom-based programs.
Creating and Expanding Access through Distance Learning
Global Student Network’s proven online education and student achievement track record helps high schools across the country provide distance learning programs that include access to AP courses. GSN’s wide range of flexible solutions allows schools to address specific needs, including:
- Student enrollment in AP courses with instruction provided by certified online teachers when local in-person classes are not an option;
- Filling learning gaps in existing AP programs and addressing schedule conflicts by enrolling students in online AP courses using online teachers; and
- Creating a distance-learning program using local teachers and digital curriculum.
Supporting Classroom Teachers with Authorized AP Curriculum
GSN’s College Board™-authorized online AP curriculum provides a strong “head start” for classroom teachers who are new to the rigors of teaching college-level AP courses. Both experienced and inexperienced AP teachers find that digital curriculum provides useful instructional resources to meet AP students’ individual needs.
Preparing Students for Success on the AP Exams
GSN’s AP Exam Review is an online study resource that helps every student perform at their highest level and includes:
- diagnostic assessments that identify each student’s strengths and weaknesses,
- personalized study plans directing students to the most relevant instructional materials,
- opportunities for practice, and
- tips on taking the exam.